Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Where there is heat, there is fire....





Where there is heat, there is fire....











September 25th
 --  Yesterday's blog post was all about the zone heating system.  The heating contractors arrived before the framers and continue with installing a maze of furnace venting and pipes for the vacuum zone system.  As I was leaving one of the guys was about to cut a hole in the red oak floor to install a heat register in the foyer, which has never been heated in the 110 year history of this old house.  I told the guy that I was excited that there would be heat in the foyer, but I couldn't stand to see him cut a hole in my oak floor, and I asked him to wait until I was out the door.  This is what I found when I got home.










                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        There is a maze of vents and pipes throughout the flooring (yes, eventually, the red oak floors will be repaired and patched to look like they do in the photo above)




As I closed the front door to walk to the car to drive to my office, the plumbing supply truck pulled up and the soaking bathtub was delivered and is still sitting on the front porch.  How they will get this up to the upper level is beyond me.












And, the fireplace in the master bedroom on the upper level has been installed:



And,  the fireplace in the gathering room addition on the main level has been installed.  .  

Here is the vent for the main level fireplace, and soon the mason will install brick on the exposed plywood.


Speaking of the mason, he is busy laying brick around the foundation of the house. 



Below you can see the "brick ledge" that was part of the foundation and how the new construction will "fit in" with the original house with this brick element.  Eventually all of the brick will be painted all the same color.


The sun is starting to hang low in the sky and is casting this weird beam of light against the newly installed door that leads to the mud room.  I look forward to discoverying how the light will play against the doors, windows and decks of this house with the seasons.




Standing inside the gathering room, here is a view of the rear-entry door.


 This project will begin its fifth month in a few days.  Before construction started a colleague who also lived in the midst of a renovation was trying to give me advice, and the thing that has stuck in my mind was, "At the end of a long day at work, you will be excited to finally come home to discover what additional piece of the final puzzle has appeared."  


I can't wait to come home from work tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment