Thursday, September 26, 2013

House renovation gourmet....sorta

House renovation cooking...sorta

September 26th --  I have always thought that when people call themselves "foodies" it is pretentious and unnecessary, especially  if true.  I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes, but I would never call myself a foodie.  I would call myself someone who has sometimes equated cooking with chemistry -- it is all about the elements and how they react with one another to form something different and surprising.  Also, like chemistry, it is often all about the tools and techniques.

Living among the ruins with no kitchen, few kitchen tools, no stove or oven, and only a microwave that is on its last legs, (well, I do have my espresso machine and grinder), the options are limited and the challenges great.  

Tonight I decided it was time to cook.  In the refrigerator I had some eggs,  cheese, green onions, basil from the garden, spinach and a sweet red pepper.  The result....a pretty decent microwave frittata-like dish.  Not only was this pretty tasty, but the result encourages the possibility of other warm dishes to come.


This really was a chemistry experiment that turned into an edible dinner as the eggs and cheese set in a way that I never imagined was possible in the microwave.  Nevertheless, I am counting the days to when I will have an actual kitchen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment