Thursday, July 10, 2014

There is no escape.....

There is no escape....

July 10th -- There seems to be no escape from construction these days.   There is a house across the street that was recently sold and is being gutted and an addition is being added.  

But this really takes the cake...


A ton of  "no parking" signs starting springing up around the neighborhood.  This morning, a small armada of dump trucks and very large heavy machine trucks showed up, and then the dust and noise.  You can sort of see in this photo that they have started roto-milling the neighborhood streets. 




Roto-milling is where they scrape off the old asphalt as they make several passes along the street.




 It is 95 degrees today and these guys by the truck are working in heavy protective clothing to make sure that the fire hydrant lines are not roto-milled off the street with the asphalt.  I think my job these days of unpacking my stuff sucks!











Update on the unpacking front....the small appliances have been located and unpacked!  They were in a box, but the box ended up in an area of the garage that contained all non-kitchen boxes.  So, the final mystery has been solved.

As I unpack and move back in, I finally decided to paint the unfinished wood futon rack.  There is lots of leftover paint, so it makes sense, besides it is a bit depressing putting my old, crummy furniture back in the house.  Yesterday it took 3.5 hours to put a coat of primer (the 5-gallon paint container read "drywall primer") on the futon rack.  Next, I'll put on a coat (or two) of the white, high gloss paint.

As a preview of what is to come as things wind down:  I still have my home office to unpack and reorganize, which will be a real task, in addition to some clothing that I still have to weed through and figure out how to store the seasonal clothes.   I am currently embroiled in an interesting situation with my public utility, and that will require a blog post of its own and will fall under the general category of things that happen during construction that no one told me would happen.  And, before I close this blog out, I will work on a true "before" and "after" post to show the dramatic transformation that has occurred throughout this project.







No comments:

Post a Comment